Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day 10 - 11 Sep - Port au Choix to Deer Lake, Nfld

We awoke to a dry bed and a sunny sky. It was still extremely windy but it seemed to be much less dreary without the cloudy sky and rain.
Today ended up being 'my' day to take photos so Wayne pulled on and off the road numerous times so that I could get some of those shots of the weather-worn fishing huts with lobster or crab traps piled along side. I'm not sure what makes that stuff so attractive...if it was here, we'd tear it down...but it's all part of the Nfld tradition and landscape. I'm so frustrated because I can't tell whether or not I've got any descent photos; they all look good on the 2 inch display! It's time to have do a 'check-off' sheet for the LuvMasheen. We never forget the toilet paper nor the laundry detergent but the technical gadgets seem to get lost in the rush--at least this time.
Another stop at Western Brook brought us to a long walk to an inland fjiord (which is the one you see most often in Gros Morne advertisements). It's a 2.5 km walk through the bog (on a boardwalk) to the dock where a boat takes you to see the huge & very impressive cliffs. I did about 1.8 kms and then my back reminded me that I still had to do the return walk so I did an about-turn and Wayne continued to the lake. I saw lots of moose tracks and moose poop and moose trails...but no moose! Given that I was in the boonies, my myself, not seeing a big moose in the middle of the rut season probably wasn't a bad thing. I need one of those bear bells girls!
The drive wasn't quite as strenuous today but we stopped at the first RV site we came to--right on beautiful river. The butterfly house was right across the street so I went in and took some photos. Very well done for a small community and it's open year round. They had three floors of displays, including the open area where the butterflies are and terrariums with terantulas and the like. Interesting.
We decided we were eating out for a change so based on the recommendations of some of the locals, went to the restaurant at the Irving gas station...you heard it right! It was excellent--I had scallops and E-Wayne had fish (cod) & chips and they served home-made dinner rolls. Only in Nfld you say!
Tomorrow will be a shorter day so we can afford to stop and smell the seaweed on our last day in Nfld. It's been a great trip and I don't think we missed too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home