Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 60-Fri, 27 Feb 09-S.Padre Island


Photo: Lynnie dozing on the beach. If there's a wind we try to tuck in between the dunes, even though there's a 200 ft area between there and the shoreline.
It was a hot one today. The news said Walesco, about 1 hr from here, hit a record at 101 degrees! It was about 87 degrees here but unless you were sitting in a protected area right in the sun, the wind kept the heat down. In fact, the wind was just a-howlin' for most of the day so couldn't go to the beach again but we were busy regardless.

We went to Market Days at the convention centre and were smart enough to be there when it opened at 9 am. It was filled with vendors, selling everything from jewellery to antiques to crafts and art and everything in between. The jewellery was gorgeous, cheap, and plentiful. The art was all local and exceptionally good. I ended up buying a hand painted long t-shirt thingie for a beach cover-up and a star-fish pendent to hang on my silver chain. We wandered for about 2 hours and by then it was getting pretty crowded so we headed for home. I did comment to Wayne that other than one or two of the vendors, there wasn't anyone there under 55 and I think I can safely amend that to 60! When we left, both big parking lots were full and there was the usual jockying for parking spaces. It goes all weekend so I'm guessing I won't be visiting the nature walk.

After lunch, Wayne napped and I read, waiting until it was time to go for my long overdue pedicure. The day spa is a small one but the girl who worked on me was really good. I even got the seaweed/mint wrap...result being that instead of having dry old legs and icky feet, I can now wear shorts & sandals again.

We love the island mentality here. Everyone is so friendly and it's almost tiresome when you are out walking, saying 'hello', 'how are you' to everyone you pass. Between travelling and staying in RV parks, and staying here, we've met some very nice people.

I saw on the news that the universities are cautioning kids about heading to Mexico for Spring Break. The warning is a tad late as most kids have paid for the trips already and I doubt they'd lose their money at the cost of a constant drunk and wild week. I love...repeat love...Mexico but I think this year was probably a good time not to be there. Hopefully, the gov't will have busted most of the drug gangs or at least the worst of them. I wanna go back at some point.

Tomorrow we'll venture down to Brownsville and have a look around. There's a wonderful zoo there that is quite well known for it's natural animal enclosures and a large sea port in the city. The last time we were there we walked across the bridge in to Mexico for a few hours...we'll see.

Until next time, love and hugs to all. xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home