Thursday, June 18, 2015

In Praise of the (Dis)Organized Garden

A clump of Chives, given to me by my friend Cathy, 25 years ago.

My favourite Mexican pots--a reminder of a special friend, Dianne Joudrey.

Everything looks better in these pots

The Milkweed, mixed with Phlox and Lillies, et al.

I went out to do some minor weeding in my garden this morning and as usual, ended up sitting on my beloved swing and watching some of the weeds grow instead of pulling them. The distraction doesn't last too long--the weeds always get pulled--but it gives me time to look, and appreciate the effect, of how some flowers have invaded the space of the flower beside it.

Ten years ago that intrusion would not have happped! At the first sign of the 'take-over', I would be on my hands and knees, shovel in the dirt, correcting the mistake and pulling the interloper. Now I find I cannot wait to see how the blue Bellflower and Orange Daylily will look as they bloom together. That small bunch of Purple Coneflower has magically appeared beside the Purple Phlox and looks so perfect that I'm half convinced a Master Gardener arrives at midnight to redistribute some of the plants around the garden. I rarely pull out any of these 'travellers' unless they are threatening to become a nuisance...and even then the plant will find itself replanted in another part of the garden. This year I consciously left 6 or 7 Milkweed plants just in case a Monarch Butterfly decided to visit and leave an egg or two. I can't see any eggs but I'm already looking forward to the beautiful scent that will waft over the garden when the Milkweed flower blooms. I curse the squirrels and yet I know they are responsible for the beautiful Lillies that now appear in places I would never have planted them but love the effect.

There is significant science on the calming effect and stress relief on one's mind and body when gardening and I know from experience that's true. For me, the decision to let plant invasions occur as they may added to my joy of gardening. Coincidently, it happened about the same time I became a Grandparent (?). Whatever the reason, I find I can sit on that garden swing for much longer than I probably should and get so much joy from the blooms and greenery in front of me.

It's a perfect place to erase the misery that makes up the news reports on the television and internet every day. It's the place where two of my granddaughters come tumbling through the gate to kiss me goodnight, fresh and delicious from the bathtub and soft in their little nightgowns. Wayne and I sit and swing, discussing future travel plans or changes we'd like to make in the garden. Words cannot describe the serenity and joy of watching a bright scarlet Cardinal as it nervously settles into the bird bath for a good splash and preening. There is much less time spent weeding and planning going on in the garden now and far more time dreaming and watching butterflies and bees.

There are also lots of memories here. There are beautiful Mexican pots that I bought with my friend Dianne Joudrey when we were visiting them in Texas. We did a quick run across the border and filled the bed of their truck with pots in every size and shape and I love them as much today as when I bought them years ago. At the edge of the garden is a big bunch of Chives with beautiful purple blooms was originally given to me by a friend and co-worker more than 25 years ago. Cathy Lorenz has moved to Nova Scotia but I'd love to give her a wee bit back, just to keep the memory of our friendship going for 25 more years.

Every year Wayne gets to hear my diabribe on why I can't manage the garden anymore--"it's too much work", "my back is too bad now"--or why I need, at the very least, to cut back on the size of the garden. Every year I keep it the same size, without eliminating a foot of it, and enjoy it more than the previous year.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sentiments - a garden is a lifelong project - always there waiting for you. It will still be there is you neglect it - always forgiving.
xo
Maureen

 
At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And those raised garden beds for another time .... Ooh do I hear Wayner in his tool shop? LOL!!

Luv u Mrs B.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home