Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Joy of Shopping (in the U.S.A.)



While wintering in Naples we keep a calendar. It has big daily boxes so that we can jot down what we did that day and what we want to do tomorrow...or next week...and our calendar includes the big sales days in local stores.

Shopping in the United States has always been a source of excitement for women and an equally intense source of mystery for our husbands. "Work out the exchange rate, the cost of staying a couple of days and eating and there are NO, NO, NO bargains", they tell us patiently. Deep in our souls we know that is probably true but it is so easy to justify the joy of shopping here that all logic flies out the mall door when we see that sign..."50% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE". Add the fact that we have access to a market that includes merchandise we don't even see in Canada and all hope for not spending money here is gone.

Naples probably has the highest ratio of shopping mall-to-individual than anywhere else in the U.S.A. Because the city is new, rich, and growing, the malls here are beautiful architecturally and the high priced stores share space side-by-side with the discount stores. The Miromar Outlet Mall hosts free music concerts and antique car shows as well as the opportunity to shop at over 100 outlet stores and has some of the most beautiful fountains, complete with coy ponds, that I've seen anywhere. The local community is encouraged to hold events on their grounds around the mall.

One of my favourite stores is Bealls (pronounced Bells) Department Store. It's only in the State of Florida and it has managed to create a merchandising strategy that...up until now...only our husbands have understood. I call it 'Canadian Tire South' and herein lies the shopping excitement that no amount of duty, dollar difference, and logic can prevent us from shopping here.

I had been into one of the Bealls stores earlier in the week. There is always a sale, from 20-50% on name brand merchandise. As I went through the cash, the cashier gave me my receipt, pointed out how much I had saved on that purchase, gave me my 'Bealls Bucks' (the equivalent of Canadian Tire money), and then handed me a coupon for a few days down the road that would give me an additional 25% off my entire purchase. That future purchase could include, sale, clearance, and/or regular priced merchandise.

That day was today and it was marked on big letters on the calendar! We did the beach thing in the morning but there was no way I wasn't going to be in the Bealls store at some point today to use my coupon! I cannot afford to buy Caribbean Joe clothing at home...it's stupid expensive...but at Bealls today, I was able to buy the best fitting shorts, t-shirts, and tops which were already marked at 40% off and then my coupon gave me an additional 25% off that price. A t-shirt which was originally $32.00 and on the clearance rack for 60% off, became mine for $9.60. THEN...then, she handed me a $40 credit to spend next week! I already have shivers.

Yesterday I ventured into Charming Charlie's (a jewellery store) and hit the '50-70% off the 50%' sale. Once again, I do not need to go the Doctor to confirm my heart is solid and in good condition. The shelves were overflowing with bangles, bobbles, necklaces and a thousand other things I didn't need but wouldn't think of resisting...such as a set of 4 silver bangles (one has a big rhinestone in the centre) for $1.50? Not me. After all, Christmas is coming.

Our first trip downtown had to include a visit to Wind in the Willows, another favourite store. I didn't go in to shop but was excited to see what the window display was as Valentine's is coming and their windows are amazing. I wasn't disappointed as the photos above attest. I get a warm feeling all over when I look at the photos and can't wait to get through the door. I probably won't buy anything but oh, the fun of pawing through stuff can't be measured.

In short, Husbands, stop fighting the inevitable. Until the US/Cdn dollar difference becomes mega dramatic (we  bought the LuvMachine and travelled through the States when the Cdn $$ was only worth 63 cents US)over-rides the joy of shopping, we will continue to extoll the virtues of shopping here.  I'm tired of trying to be excited about 15% off mass merchandise at the Bay and not finding a customer rep anywhere on the floor. I may not have any desire to live permanently in the USA but I sure love to shop here.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM , Blogger Marina said...

Amen!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home