Sunday, January 18, 2015

This Could Be Heaven (I hope)....

Huge Dolphin fishing just off the shore at Lover's Key

Skimmers taking off to get their share of the fish.

Early morning swim in my private pool.

I'm not overly concerned about being in my 'twilight years'. It's inevitable and unless modern medicine progresses to the point where I can choose to live another 20 years past the point where nature says it's time to go, I'm willing to let things happen as they may. Heaven knows, it's been a magical mystery ride!

Ageing does, however, make me a little more thoughtful about what might be waiting for me on the other side. I have some scenarios...either based on my traditional spiritual training or others from my fabulous imagination...but if I'm able to put in an order for my heavenly home, I think today might be pretty close to how I'd like to spend eternity. The only thing missing...the most important thing...was that I'd need family/extended family occupying all the other units in the condo.

I had a great night's sleep..not too hot and not too cold. I slept late..no trucks rumbling past and no sirens screaming down the road. My tea wasn't too strong and I put just the right amount of sugar in it. I sat out on our little screened-in porch letting the sun warm my bones and watched the steam rise off the swimming pool below. By the time I'd refilled my cup with coffee and sat back down I knew I was swimming this morning. It was 9:15 am and there was nobody in the pool and no signs that anyone was going to come to the pool.

Wayne and I exercised and stretched, did laps, ran in place and after about 40 minutes felt like we had given the best we were going to give today and got out. We'd decided that we both wanted to go different places and the compromise was that he would drop me off downtown while he went in search of a hobby shop and then we would meet again at our favourite place for lunch...The 5th Avenue Café.

The weather was perfect. About 72 degrees, a tiny breeze and not a sign of humidity. This is what the weather must be like in Shangri La....my Shangri La. Once I was out of the car I headed for my favourite browsing spot, Wind In The Willows. If I was a socialite or spent half the year travelling around the world on my yacht I'd be actually buying things in this store vice just browsing. The clothes and accessories are so beautiful (and equally expensive) and funky enough to make you try something on while trying to figure out where the hell you would wear it. There are fabulous Fascinators, outrageously big and beautiful necklaces, and children's clothing that you want to buy but know that the Grandkids cannot sit still long enough to prevent ruining it. There are also 3 White Persian cats in the store...2 shaved to resemble a Lion and one unshaved. Finding out where they are hiding amongst the dresses and sequined purses is part of the joy of being in that store.

Next stop was to Best of Everything. I'm not sure how many square feet of jewellery is in that space but there is not a colour, a particular stone or type of metal that has not made into some type of jewellery. The trend right now is big and colourful and this place has it all covered. I pick up and put down. I look at those hundreds of watches in every size, style and colour and remember that I already have a drawer full at home, all of which need a battery. Like my roam through Wind In The Willow, I leave with both my Visa and Cash untouched.  That does not happen often.

The final stop was to Chico's. As I do each and every time I go in that store, I get a salesclerk to tell me how their weird sizing relates to what I normally wear; for example, a size 8 pants/bottom in Chico's is 0.50. A size 12 or medium top is size 1 in Chico's. Their sizing doesn't follow any European, Canadian, Caribbean, or American scale but it gives the clerk in the store an opportunity to learn your name, what size you take, and go eye-to-eye with you for at least 30 seconds. Because their clothing is gorgeous, most women do not go out of that store without buying something. Great merchandising. I did buy a great pair of pants plus a sweater and scarf in a colour I have never, ever considered wearing but now wonder how I ever did without it.

Wayne and I met at our café and had a great lunch and were even lucky enough to get our favourite spot in the corner in the big leather wing chairs. The food was perfect...hot and fresh...and we lingered for an hour while we discussed the rest of the day. The decision to come home and spend the afternoon by the pool was a no-brainer. Wayne made it into the condo and as far as the bed while I grabbed a book and sat on the patio. Perfect!

It's now 3 pm and although the day is far from over, I've already decided that this is basically what I hope Heaven will be like. In 'my' Heaven though, we'll have a big family dinner tonight. It will include grandparents, parents, friends I haven't seen since...well, you know...and my dearest cousins, aunts and uncles, and anyone else whom I loved or admired. Clearly, it will have to be a Pot Luck!

Until next time, love and hugs to all. xx









2 Comments:

At 6:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like it is your "Highlight" years. You are having way too much fun. Carol

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Marina said...

Been going to Paradise (Naples) for 20 years. Looks like you were just up the street from us last winter. How about that?! - Marina & Ozzie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home