Tuesday, January 14, 2014

14 Jan 2014 - Why I love shopping!

Today's shopping trip was all about every reason I love shopping...and especially in the US. For all those people who will say..."I can never find anything worth buying" or "It's really not any cheaper because (insert any reason here)"....here's what we did today.


Wayne and I both love Bealls (pronounced Bells) Department Store which is only located in Florida. They will often have a nice outlet store close to a regular store and always have great sales on brand name merchandise. Tuesday is always Senior's Day which is an additional 15% for those who are "50 and Fab". Neither Wayne nor I have bought much summer stuff for quite a while and he especially, was really ready for some shorts and shirts. I know Bealls has a good selection of Columbia brand clothing and I was particularly interested in stuff for Africa.


We went our separate ways when we entered and other than a quick discussion about which shorts Wayne had chosen got the seal of approval and which shirt got a thumbs down, we met a couple of hours later at the checkout.


We got ready to stack each of our loaded baskets onto the checkout when the girl said, "If you open a Bealls account today, you will get an additional 20% off your purchase."


We never, ever, do that at home...don't own any store credit cards but given that most of our purchases were 25%-50% off, plus 15% for senior's discount, I got just plain GREEDY and signed up!


The bill came to $1100 and change. The 20% discount for a new account dropped it by $225 and the senior discount dropped it another $135. The final bill was $763 and as we were loading the bags into the cart the cashier said, "Here's $120 in Beall Bucks which you can spend tomorrow on whatever you wish."


We got 47 items of clothing, including all the special Columbia items for Africa, shoes, sunglasses, blah, blah. We just smiled a lot.


We came home and paid the account charge via internet and when the card arrives in Ottawa, we'll cut it up. We celebrated our new wardrobes by going to the Swan River Seafood restaurant L2 recommended for the most incredible crab cakes I've ever eaten. I had lobster salad, Wayne had mussels and we brought home some clam chowder and crab cakes for supper.
Tomorrow will be a home day for me as I have to be at here to sign for the camera battery and charger I ordered. It's probably going to be a good day to do the laundry and perhaps try out my new walking shoes.
Until later...xx

1 Comments:

At 7:13 AM , Anonymous Carol said...

Start the car! (New shoes?)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home