Saturday, March 22, 2014

22 March 2014 - Naples final art fest of the season


One of the clocks made with antique silver.

Garden statuary made from steel. Some of the animal's heads moved.

Colourful ceramics with hand imprinted decoration.

Photographic art by Edward Loedding from Brandon, Vermont.
Steel cactus was so realistic and would be awesome at night when inside lights come on.

Wood burl carving by Vic Baisley from Hollywood, Florida.

How lucky are we? Naples must be the most Art-friendly city in Florida and I'd bet money it rivals any other bigger city in the USA. For certain, there is nothing in Canada that can compare. Perhaps the fact that there's little rain, no snow and lots of money helps to do more than just promote the arts.

I went through the Naples Florida Weekly earlier in the week and marked it on the calendar so we wouldn't forget about it. I've learned that if it isn't on the calendar or there isn't a paper reminder we will get involved in one of a hundred different things and not get to the event.  However, we were up relatively early and downtown by 9:45 am. The weather has been very hot so that the mornings are the best time to do anything before it get just too hot to be anywhere but in a pool or the ocean.

I know I have said this a hundred times since we've been in Naples but...just when I think I've seen it all, I see one more thing...and it normally takes my breath away. The Art Festival was that 'one more thing' or rather, the artists who were showing at this festival. I saw things today that literally took my breathe away or brought me to tears with the sheer beauty of it. People are able to reach so far into their imaginations and spirits to create the things they do. It was far more than just photography, painting, ceramics, etc. Every artist seemed to have found another layer of creativity for their work and there were additional steps in the process to make something so beautiful or unusual.

One photographer printed large format photos and did some excellent photoshop enhancement before adding many thin layers of varnish so that it resembled a beautiful painting. Another artist took pieces of antique silver..trays, cutlery, etc...and created large pendulum clocks. A wood carver created large bowls (God, they were so much more than just `bowls`) from wood burls and they did intricate carving so that it looked like a piece of lace around the top. Wayne, of course, was mesmerized and talked to him forever! Another artist carved sea-life from wood and then painted it in layer after layer of high gloss paint so that each animal looked like it had just been plucked from the ocean. A metal worker had made the most realistic and gorgeous cactus in steel and they were lit inside so that at night the light would shine through the various holes and cracks. On and on........

There had to be about 350 artists in back-to-back tents down the main street and because the tents were all the same I`m betting they belong to the City of Naples are rented by each artist. We stopped at our favourite 5th Street Café for a coffee and muffin and by 11:30 am the temperature and the thousands of people dictated that we get out of there. We had parked at the no-cost parking garage (another A+ for Naples) and we walked over to the park to sit in the shade and see what was going on there before heading home.

The Avow Hospice is having a big benefit weekend and have chosen butterflies as their symbol of celebration. There`s a big Butterfly Ball tonight but in the park today they were having a remembrance celebration. There was music and a huge mesh tent filled with hundreds of butterflies that anyone could visit, while names of individuals being remembered were read out.  When the names were finished being read, the organizers raised the side of the tent and all the butterflies were released.  As I`ve said...just when I think I`ve seen it all.

We went to the beach yesterday and it was probably the hottest day so far. There wasn`t the usual breeze although I had a bit of a pinkish blow to my skin after Wednesday`s visit so sitting under the umbrella wasn`t a bad idea. I walked down the beach once to do some shelling and as soon as I had dragged myself back to our umbrella, Wayne and I both headed for the water for my first swim. It was heaven!

The art festival continues tomorrow and the Naples Concert Orchestra is playing in the park so we may head down early again and get to the park before it`s too hot. Everyone we talk to is starting to think about packing and heading back North..somewhere. There`s also lots of conversation about how cold it still is at home (where-ever `home` is) and how lucky we`ve all been to have spent the winter here. I still can`t believe the severity of the winter at home.

That`s what the Corkum`s are doing in Naples. Until next time, love and hugs to all. I wish I could send each of you a little bit of sunshine. xx







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home