Sunday, February 09, 2014

9 Feb 2014 - A Cruising We Will Go


This was almost full zoom on the P-a-S camera...impressive!

We saw people fishing, and catching decent sized fish. I guess that is why the dolphins were so close to shore today...maybe 20 feet off shore.

The Osprey with it's catch.

I love the little camera but anxious to see if the larger one can match this.
It was mega hot here yesterday but we spent most of the day at home washing/ironing and getting ready for our cruise to the Bahamas tomorrow. We did go to Hobby Lobby though...OMG...it's my next rainy day project and I will have to take photos. Name something...anything...and this store has it. If Joanne's Fabrics is Michael's on crack, Hobby Lobby is designer crack!

However, today was beach day! Even though the morning was dull and overcast, the weatherman promised sun and heat with a bit of a breeze and he was right! We got there about 10 am and decided today we would set up close to the tram area and wander to wherever....rather than haul stuff back when we were tired and hot. Good decision! We were within 2 minutes of the washrooms and tram area it was a blessing when we left at 3 pm not to have to walk far.

It was a glorious day and we went down to the sand bar to find more...smaller...shells. There were some small pools of water created by some sandbars in the water and the water temperature was pretty enticing. I paddled but it will be a couple of weeks before I get in for a full-on swim. Wayne went in...but he's a down homer who still thinks 70 degrees is reasonable. I'm a Princess and I know it!

My thrill today was to be less than 15 feet away from the Osprey that was sitting in a tree eating a nice big fish it had just caught. The washrooms sit in a building that is on 15 ft stilts and there is a veranda around the top. The Osprey was in a tree at the back side of the building where the photos were taken from. I was sure it would fly away when I walked around the back, even though I crept along quite slowly and quietly. I'm sure all the Ospreys in that area are used to seeing us 2-legged creatures as their nests are also built quite close to the beach. It continued eating and didn't pay much attention to me at all, which was nice.

I'm still using my new point-and-shoot camera and I've got to say, I'm still pretty impressed. The small shore birds are moving constantly and a few of these photos are as good as anything I've taken with the big Mother-cameras. I will continue to see what it is capable of but my conundrum about what photo equipment to take to Africa might not be a problem after all. We'll see.

We will get up early in the morning and head to Miami for our cruise. I think it pulls out about 4 pm but our agent said to be there as soon after lunch as possible....in fact, the cruise company is providing lunch and as soon as the ship is ready we will be able to board. Internet access is 75 cents a minute so needless to say, we will be off the grid for a few days. If the ship sinks, you will know.

Hope all is well at home. If the new is reporting an elderly woman arrested for pushing people out of the way to get to the mega-water slides at Atlantis...you will know who it is as well. Until later, love and hugs to all. xx

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have taken some great pictures with your new camera Lynne ! Al loves the Osprey ones !
Have a great cruise ! I will think of you every day ! You will love Atlantis. You must wander through some of the shops after you do the slides. The Rapid River is great also. It is a lot more fun than just The Lazy River. It is the same idea with the inner tubes, but it moves along at a good clip. Having straps to hold your glasses on would be a good idea ! ENJOY !!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home